Green Education in a Green Country

26.6.06

A new laptop

I've had my laptop for 4 years, and while its served me well, I think its time for a fresh start. Here's the issue: should I get a laptop in the UK, or one here in the states?

Buying a laptop in the UK
Pros:
  • Already configured for UK standards (not that this is so hard to do on any laptop...it would just be nice)
  • Won't have to worry about power conversion
  • Won't have to lug it there with me and the other 150 lbs of luggage I'll be bringing
  • Won't have to worry about bringing a brand new computer through customs (supposedly that sort of thing can lead to the customs people giving you problems. Seems a little silly though)
Cons:
  • $300 more expensive than computer bought in the US
  • What will I do with it in a year?
  • Might be computer-less for a couple weeks in the UK, while waiting for it to be shipped

Another question that I can't seem to find an answer to: if I have a computer configured to American standards, would I just need to buy a UK power supply and be able to plug it into my computer? i.e. is the power input on all PCs the exact same, and the only difference is the power supply? I'm confused. Help!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home