Green Education in a Green Country

15.6.06

Making some progress

After a couple months of occasional searching for cheap airfare, I finally found a flight to Edinburgh. Not exactly cheap -- $350 for a one-way ticket -- but it could be worse. I found it on airfare.com, through sidestep.com, both of which I would recommend. I was a little uneasy about booking the ticket since it wouldn't tell me ahead of time what airline it was through. It just said "Major Carrier". Well, that's not that specific, and I didn't want to end up flying Bootleg Airlines International or something. So after a little Google-sleuthing, I figured out that it was through Continental. Reassured, I booked the ticket. (The exact same flight on Continental's website was listed as $950, and it had a "low fare guaranteed" icon next to it. Such lies!)

I've started the whole visa process, and that is going well so far. I renewed my driver's license (something I've been avoiding for years now. How can they get away with charging $90 for an out-of-state license conversion??). I visited the doctor, eye doctor, and dentist, before my insurance runs out. I got a clean bill of health on all accounts, and stocked up on contact lenses and prescriptions.

I also stocked up on passport photos. I read somewhere (I can't remember where) that you should get a whole bunch -- more than you would think -- before you leave. So I got, uh, 20. It took forever for them all to print out, and the Kinkos employee who was printing them kept looking at me like I was crazy. In hindsight, I may have gone a little overboard. In my defense though, I already know that I need 2 for the visa, 2 for police registration, and at least one for a student ID. There will probably be more...though perhaps not 15 more. Ah well...I can hand them out to my new friends to remember me by...or something...

And I revised my hiking adventure plans for the summer. I decided I needed something a little more flab-friendly...no steep grades or huge mountains...no ridiculous daily mileage. I still wanted something that would be in the middle of nowhere (as I have this overwhelming desire to escape from civilization temporarily), and that would be beautiful. I think I've found it: The Northville-Placid Trail in the Adirondacks. It should take about 15 days to complete (its about 120 miles from end to end). Hurray!

2 weeks until I quit my job. I'm getting nervous...

1 Comments:

At 8:40 AM, Blogger Becky said...

Awww...Manda, there's no need to be nervous. You're only cutting off your main source of income and insurance to travel across a big, massive ocean (on a thankfully proven airline) to a new country where you don't know a soul to study something you love so that you can spend the rest of your life crusading for the good of our earth!

Keep your eyes on that last part. You're doing good, girl. Keep it up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home